In the spirit of Christmas and the holiday season, we decided to share a long-cherished recipe for some mouthwatering chicken wings. We call it Seasoned Greetings, because what would Christmas be like without a dad joke or two?
[TOP SECRET] Grilled Chicken Wings recipe
This custom, top secret grilled chicken wings recipe was created by our own Zack Ruef, and is great for cookouts any time of the year, even in the bitter cold. These grilled chicken wings are extremely savory, because of the top secret prep tip: letting the chicken wings soak in the buttermilk and hot sauce over night, which makes the chicken under the skin spicy and flavorful. These have quickly become a ruef family favorite, and the top-requested cookout item by family and friends.
- 3 pounds of whole chicken wings
- 1 quart of whole cultured buttermilk
- 6 oz Frank’s Redhot Original Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 large Ziploc bags, or freezer bags
Prepare the wings
1. Rinse the chicken thoroughly; pat dry. Separate wings from drums. Place drums and wings into two Ziploc bags.
2. Pour 2 cups of buttermilk and 3 ounces of Frank’s RedHot; mix. Place bags in refrigerator and soak overnight (or 6 hours).
Prepare the rub
3. Add together all dry ingredients in bowl and mix.
Prepare for grilling
4. Preheat one side of the grill medium-high for searing, the other side set to medium for cooking.
5. Strain the wings from the milk. Pat dry and lay wings out on a large cookie sheet.
6. Sprinkle dry rub over wings. Flip and add more rub to thoroughly coat the wings.
7. Spray the grill with olive oil and sear the wings for 3-5 minutes, then flip. Aim for decent grill marks or a slight char.
8. Move wings to cooler side of the grill for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked.
9. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Unlisted final step: become grill legend among friends and neighbors. We hope you enjoy this tasty recipe, and have a safe and joyful holiday with your family.